Pledge to Reduce Racial Polarization in my Neighborhood and Community
- I will not engage in racial polarization and will
intervene when others do.
- I will identify and implement specific actions to improve
race relations in my neighborhood and community.
- I will reach out to neighbors, friends or colleagues of a
different race and have honest conversations about race based on our personal
- I will publicize my pledge to my network of family, friends and colleagues and bring it to the attention of organizations of which I am a part.
I want to live in a community where people
· Accept all cultural, religious and racial heritages rather than fighting them.
· Use language that unites rather than divides.
· Reach out to neighbors rather than avoid those who are different.
· Learn about others who appear different rather than believe and accept stereotypes.
· Organize, educate and encourage others to eliminate all forms of racism rather than just live with it.
· Object to racial jokes rather than listen to or laugh at them.
· Speak out against racism rather than passively observe it.
· Refuse to use any form of racially derogatory language rather than accept it as part of my vocabulary.
William L Pickett Henrietta NY July 3, 2020
This an adaptation of a pledge developed by the Urban League of Rochester NY in 1992.